Dublin City Gallery, The Hugh Lane
Dublin City Gallery, The Hugh Lane houses the foremost public collection of contemporary art in Ireland and also has dynamic temporary exhibitions. A standout permanent exhibit at the galley is the studio of Sir Francis Bacon, which in 1998 was painstakingly moved from London to Dublin. The Hugh Lane team catalogued, mapped and reassembled more than 7,000 pieces, a process that took more than three years. The finished product really has to be seen to be fully appreciated.
Nearby and launching in 2017, there will be a rare opportunity to see inside No.14 Henrietta Street, one of the north inner city’s most famous streets and home to Dublin’s high society in the 19th century and its poorest citizens in the early 20th century, when the homes were tenements. Occupied by Viscounts and Lord Chancellors, the house was one of the first to become a tenement in 1883 when 17 families comprising more than 100 people lived there making it the ideal place to tell the story of social change in Dublin.